Making the decision to seek marriage counseling is not easy. Research shows that couples wait far too long to make the decision to find a good marriage counselor. On average, most people wait until the problem has been the problem for almost seven years. By this time, it is often the case that one partner has all but given up on the relationship which makes marriage counseling more complicated than it has to be. Don’t wait to find a good marriage counselor near you.
How do you know when you need to call the marriage therapist?
It may be time for help when:
- One of you has had an affair or is thinking of having an affair.
- The word “divorce” is used as an option or a threat.
- You’re having more fights and fewer discussions.
- You’ve used phrases like “I love you, but I’m not in love with you.”
- Sex isn’t fulfilling or fun anymore.
- You or your partner is controlling or demanding.
- Resentment keeps you from seeing the positives in your relationship or your partner.
- You feel like you can’t do or say anything right anymore.
- You feel like you are walking on eggshells, or you’re just roommates.
- You can’t honestly state what you want or need out of the relationship.
- You’re a rookie. You’re about to get married for the first time or you’re about to get re-married and not sure how to start in a healthy way.
If any of these sounds like your current relationship, it’s worth it to give therapy a chance! Change is possible. I’ve seen it hundreds of times. And it’s just as possible after 30 years as it is after year one. Most couples wait for way too long before they come to marriage counseling. Don’t be that couple. Give me a call or schedule an appointment so we can get started and get your relationship back on track.